Just completed are 18 bases of Psiloi Skirmishers, 6 each of bow, javelin and sling. I probably spent twice the amount of time on the bases as I did painting the miniatures ;).
I just completed four bases of Italian Medium Infantry. They can be used as allied or mercenary units in most of the armies of the period and can perhaps represent Campanians, Bruttians and Oscans.
I am starting to get the hang of painting shields. Lots of room for improvement of course but it’s slowly getting better. I guess I will get loads of practice when I start on the multiple units of Hoplites :).
Next up are bow, sling and javelin armed Psiloi.
I took a picture of my progress so far.
Three Republican Roman legions and an allied, or enemy, Samnite contingent.
I started painting on may 16th, so in just over 8 weeks I have painted and based 1364 infantry, 126 cavalry and 12 generals, just over 1500 miniatures :).
I am finally finished with 190 Samnite infantry to accompany my Italian Cavalry.
The infantry are organized into two units of three bases for the medium infantry and two units of two bases for the light infantry. I will expand the light infantry to three bases sometime in the future.
I made the “smart” decision to paint all of them at once to get maximum variation in my units. The miniatures might be small but when you are painting 190 at once, progress becomes painfully slow. From now on I will try to limit myself to 100 miniatures in a batch in order to keep my sanity.
To paint the shields I switched to a Windsor and Newton Series 7 00 brush, down from my normal Windsor and Newton Series 7 size 1 or 2 brush. While I still have quite a way to go I felt that my control improved immensely.
Next up are 96 Italian spearmen, the posing on these are much better than the Samnites when it comes to speed painting. All are facing the same way in more or less the same pose.
Its been a slow week but I managed to finish 3 bases of Italian Cavalry and a command base with some of the spare figures.
The amount of detail on the small 6mm figures are amazing, and I now see that the command figures have cheek guards on their helmets that need to be fixed :). I also painted patterns on the shields and its hard to get anything but random squiggles at this scale, however I will keep at it and hopefully I will get better with time.