Hoplite basing conundrums

I have been struggling with basing the Baccus attacking hoplites.

As you can see on the hoplite base to the bottom right in the picture the hoplites are based on strips with pretty generous spacing while the Roman Hastati in the left upper corner have tighter spacing. Another issue is the lack of space in the front of the hoplites. This would make these very different from all the other bases in the project.

I decided to rebase the hoplites into the formation you see on the other two hoplite bases in the picture. Its somewhat of a hassle doing this since the rear rank is individual miniatures.

 

Greek Peltasts

Eight bases of Greek Peltasts based as Light Infantry.

I tried Army Painter Quickshade (Strong Tone) on these. Not pleased with the result so I am going back to my own recipe which is more of a wash than a “dip”. I tried thinning the Quickshade with some turpentine but it didn’t really help.

Thessalian Light Cavalry

Its been incredibly hot so my painting slowed to a crawl. I measured 35 celsius (95 f) in my hobby room at one point, so I went outside and did something else for a while :).

That said I have finished 7 bases of Thessalian Light Cavalry that will serve as both Thessalian and generic “Greek” light cavalry.

Next up are several units of Greek Peltasts.

Italian Medium Infantry

I just completed four bases of Italian Medium Infantry. They can be used as allied or mercenary units in most of the armies of the period and can perhaps represent Campanians, Bruttians and Oscans.

I am starting to get the hang of painting shields. Lots of room for improvement of course but it’s slowly getting better. I guess I will get loads of practice when I start on the multiple units of Hoplites :).

Next up are bow, sling and javelin armed Psiloi.

Samnite Infantry

I am finally finished with 190 Samnite infantry to accompany my Italian Cavalry.

The infantry are organized into two units of three bases for the medium infantry and two units of two bases for the light infantry. I will expand the light infantry to three bases sometime in the future.

I made the “smart” decision to paint all of them at once to get maximum variation in my units. The miniatures might be small but when you are painting 190 at once, progress becomes painfully slow. From now on I will try to limit myself to 100 miniatures in a batch in order to keep my sanity.

To paint the shields I switched to a Windsor and Newton Series 7 00 brush, down from my normal Windsor and Newton Series 7 size 1 or 2 brush. While I still have quite a way to go I felt that my control improved immensely.

Next up are 96 Italian spearmen, the posing on these are much better than the Samnites when it comes to speed painting. All are facing the same way in more or less the same pose.

Italian Cavalry

Its been a slow week but I managed to finish 3 bases of Italian Cavalry and a command base with some of the spare figures.

The amount of detail on the small 6mm figures are amazing, and I now see that the command figures have cheek guards on their helmets that need to be fixed :). I also painted patterns on the shields and its hard to get anything but random squiggles at this scale, however I will keep at it and hopefully I will get better with time.